Configure Mac OS X's "Sharing" Preferences
- under "Internet & Network" in the MacOsXsystemPreferences, click "Sharing"
- in the "Computer Name" text box, enter the correct DNS name for the machine
- if you wish, check the box next to "Remote Login" to enable ssh access
- check the box labelled "Apple Remote Desktop" (this seems to be required for local Software Updates to work properly
- click "Cancel" and then check "Show status in menu bar"
- do not enable any other services because all they provide should preferably be done using our servers
- click the "Firewall" tab
- click the "Internet" tab
- make sure the service is stopped and all items in the list unchecked
- click "Show All" if you want to configure other settings, otherwise close the panel
by browsing, searching, or an index