My current research activities are focused around the following four projects:
- Data Management for High-Throughput DNA Sequencing
- Freshness-Aware Caching
- Data Replication based on Snapshot Isolation
- Consistency Guarantees for Cloud Computing
For more information on current research projects or to learn which student projects I am offering this semester, please have a look at my extra project page.
During the recent years, my research activities have been centered around two main areas: OLAP with a cluster of databases and database middleware services. My efforts met into the following concrete research projects:
- Corona: Query Processing in Sensor Networks
- dbBLAST: BLAST in a Database
- PowerDB: A Database of Databases
- Harmony: An Distributed Object Query Service
- PASTEL: Persistent Application Systems, Technologies, Environments and Languages
Some of the research topics I have investigated in the past are physical design for OLAP in a cluster, query routing techniques, cluster replication management, and distributed query processing over heterogeneous repositories. Besides, an important aspect of these research efforts has always been prototype development (details see here) in order to be able to realistically evaluate the performance characteristics.